In between the slices

One ordinary girls quest to inform the masses of joy found in America's delicatessens (delis and such).

May 04, 2006

What do you think of when you think of Memphis?... Graceland? ...The Heartbreak Hotel?... Elvis Presley? Probably, but we're not going to talk about any of those things today. This is a sandwich blog people. If you want to talk about "The King" you should probably go else where. Jeez, I know I said I'm here for you guys but REALLY, let's stick to what I know. And that's sammiches.

Today's delicatessen was that by the name of McAlister's Deli. It's one of the bigger chain of delis around right now, but it's got some history. Want to hear it? Here it goes. Unlike alot of the other restaurants talked about on here McAlister's is still a pretty young company. Don Newcomb a dentist from Oxford Mississippi decided to try his hand in the delicatessen business and after some years tracking winners and losers he decided to enter the game with something different. In 1989 with his two sons, Don came up with the idea of a deli that had speedy service with a "side of southern charm." They opened their first store in a converted gas station in Oxford and McAlister's took off from there. In 1995 it was recognized by INC. Magazine as one of America's fastest-growing, privately owned companies. McAlister's Deli can now be found all over the country offering a menu of over 80 items including their famous "home brewed" sweet tea and lemonade.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is a very casual mixture of an old school/modern day, saloon/soda shop if you can dig. Can you dig? No seriously, I've got this whole I need dug in my back yard and I'm looking for some cheap labor. Anybody...? Anybody...?

Alright, now to the goods. The sandwich for today was the Memphian. ("Ohhhh, that's what that Memphis thing was about...") You guys are too quick. The Memphian is a sub type sammitch consisting of layers of choice roast beef, ham, turkey and melted provolone cheese on a 6" wheat hoagie, "dressed" with lettuce, tomatoes, spicy mustard, and mayo. Looking back I'm not really sure why it's called the Memphian. Is Memphis famous for bad ass sandwiches with lots of meat on an awesome hoagie with lots of spicy mustard? Cause if they are, the name makes all kinds of sense. If not, then it's just kind of a weird name for a sandwich if you ask me. Luckily no one did. But I digress. The sandwich was good, I'm not a HUGE roast beef fan, but it all blended nicely together, and the mustard was a nice kick of flavor to an other wise semi-dull sandwich.

As far as price went it was pretty much average I guess. The Memphian came with chips and a pickle for 5.75. I didn't get any of their famous sweet tea (I'm not a big tea drinker), but I've been with folks who are hard core tea lovers and they informed me that this tea definitely lives up to the hype. It's 1.57 for a 32 oz glass. Or you can buy a gallon for 5.00. Ye Haw!

Now when it came to service, I've usually always had good experiences at McAlister's, but today it was a little shady. So, I call in my order (yes, I had to work again, I'm always at work) and I go to pick it up. I'm like five minutes later then when they actually told me it'd be ready so I know my food was ready to go. I get there and stand in front of the to-go counter, my food in a bag an arms length away, and about four McAlister's employees walk by me without even acknowledging that I'm standing there. They continue serving the people in the regular lines for a few minutes and then eventually say "can I help you?". Can you help me? No, I just thought it'd be fun to come and stand by your to-go counter and count the number of times someone orders no onion on their sandwiches. Continue what you're doing McAlister's employees, I've counted four so far. Ok, sorry, I'm done venting. Other then that, it was alright. I'd go back.

Oh, I also wanted to throw in that McAlister's offers a great military, cop, and fireman discount. If you're in uniform you get 50% off your order. So suit up folks and get some grub.

On a normal day they'd probably get a gold star too, but because of the line situation I'm going with a silver star today. (But lets face it girls, we all like silver better anyways don't we?) That's enough for now folks, keep the Rock-a-billy flowin'. Until lunch time folks, good night and good eating....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home