In between the slices

One ordinary girls quest to inform the masses of joy found in America's delicatessens (delis and such).

May 01, 2006

After my attempt yesterday to share with you my Jason's Deli experience, today I am less then thrilled to try and recreate my witty ramblings once again. But I care about you the people and I want you folks to be informed so I shall try again.
Jason's Deli is the restaurant I visited yesterday and today (got a different sandwich today don't fret). First a little history about the joint. The first Jason's Deli opened in 1975 in Beaumont, TX by two fellers (we are talking about Texans after all) by the names of Joe Tortorice and Rusty Coco, who at any given time can be found spending more time behind the counter serving customers, then behind their desks of their now multi million dollar franchise. Starting with just one store and a 12 item menu Jason's Deli is now in over 18 states with over 75 stores and a 60 item menu.
The atmosphere of Jason's is reminiscent of that of a 50's dinner or a soda shop with red vinyl seats and chrome accents. Over half of their stores are still family owned and operated. Every time I have visited Jason's Deli it has been pretty busy but they offer plenty of seating in booths or tables, inside and out. The amount of people frequenting Jason's speaks volumes for their food but can sometimes slow down the service.
As for the sandwiches.
Yesterday the sammich I enjoyed was the Santa Fe Chicken Sandwich, consisting of marinated chicken breast, homemade guacamole, bacon, tomato, russian dressing, swiss, grilled on whole grain branola. If you are at all into food of the south west tex mexy persuasion you have got to try this sandwich. The flavor in the tender chicken breast along with just the right about of homemade guack blends together with all the other ingredients to create a flavor fiesta grilled between the perfectly contrasting bread that is branola. I tastes like a mouth full of wonderfulness. (If you're not a mad TV fan, that Stuart reference probably went right over your head and you thought of me as ignorant for a moment, it's ok I forgive you) Don't mess with this sandwich either, it's fine just the way it is!
The price on this one is slightly higher then the fire house sub, but portion wise is definitely worth it. Not to mention the entire menu is trans fat free. Then again a bag of Lays sour cream and onion has no trans fat either so who the hell really knows what the deal is with that. Anywho, the sandwich is 6.25 and is served with chips and a pickle (mine was limp). I highly suggest the baked lays with this sandwich, the salt on regular chips takes away from the flavors of the sandwich. Drinks are another 1.75.
As for my sandwich today. I wish I could be as enthused to tell you about this one as I was the last. Today I went for something totally different (I want variety for you people, see how much I care?) Today's sammich is actually called a Muffaletta. No, I didn't just call your mama a name, apparently its the name of a sandwich originating in New Orleans. It's served on a sesame seed bun type deal and has oven roasted turkey breast (you can get it in ham and hard salami if that's more your thing) with provolone and home made olive mix. It's grilled and served with chips and a pickle (limp again). Now, don't get me wrong, there are probably people out there who would enjoy this kind of thing. Probably the same people who eat black jelly beans and salt on their water melon. Nothing wrong with those people, just not my kind of thing. The bread was ok, kind of hard, the turkey was great, the cheese was good, but the whole "olive mix" thing was more then I could take. It is basically black and green olives chopped up and mixed together and put on the sandwich where a nice piece of iceberg lettuce should go if you ask me, but hey, I just eat the things, I don't make em'.
Now, if you decide this sandwich is for you, the price is decent. A whole Muffaletta (again, nothing against yo mama) is 9" across. So you could easily feed two people with one, or maybe just one person if that person is yo mama! Ha Ha Ha! Ok, back the subject at hand. A whole Muffaletta is 9.75, a half-muff (4.5" for those of you match impaired) is 6.75, and a quater-muff (which is all I got thank the dear Lord above) is 5.25. But if you ask me, don't try the Muff. It's Muffaletting gross.
All in all the service was good. The first day with my Santa Fe sandwich I tried ordering it to-go hoping to speed the process along. Didn't work. However, right was I was about to lose faith in the 18 year old boy with a hair net who took my order, he offered me a free drink on the house for the wait, once again restoring my faith in man kind. Today with the Muffaletta I took it to the next level and called in my order on the way there. Arriving at the to-go door I quickly noticed it was the same hair netted dude from the day before and I was slightly embarrassed. ("Does this chick never eat at home? And why is she always alone in those ugly light blue pajama looking things?" he thought to himself) But as I went through the door and approached the counter he greeted me with my sandwich (nasty as it was) and a smile saying "Hi, Theresa." He remembered my name! I'm sure you're not, but I was impressed.
All in all Jason's Deli definitely receives a gold star from me. (Reno 911 reference people, watch it, learn it, live it!)
As for me, I should probably get some real work done. So good bye for now my fellow sandwich lovers. Untill lunch time, good night and good eating....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home