In between the slices

One ordinary girls quest to inform the masses of joy found in America's delicatessens (delis and such).

May 01, 2006

So I have decided to blog about something I truly enjoy. Sandwiches or sammitches as I like to call them. I love them. Probably my favorite food group. I go to lots of different places all the time to try all different sandwiches and I feel since I consider myself quite the connoisseur of sandwiches that I could pass my knowledge on to you, the people (at least the three of you who actually read this blog). If you, the people, have any interesting sandwiches or your own personal favorite feel free to leave me a note so I can try them and see what I think about them. For today's sandwich.... The New York Steamer Sub from Firehouse subs. First off, Firehouse Subs is a chain in 1994 in Jacksonville, FL by two brothers who were fire fighters. The atmosphere of the restaurant leaves you with a sense of American pride and the courage to go home and put out a fire. (that may be stretching it a little) It's a very relaxed kind of joint and the employees there were very friendly. (highly unusual this day in age especially from people 16-22 but don't get me started on kids these days)
Anyways, as for the sammitch. It consisted of corned beef brisket and pastrami made famous by the delicatessens of NYC and served hot with provolone, mayo, spicy mustard and Italian dressing. It was served on a white bread sub style roll and steamed to perfection. The flavors of all the ingredients steamed together were really really great. I never really considered myself a corned beef brisket or pastrami fan but this was truly amazing. Don't be one of those people who are all "I want the steamer but can I have swiss instead of provolone and honey mustard instead of spicy, and can you add some banana peppers to that?" Eat the sandwich the way it was intended to be eaten. Leave it alone! Anyways, if you're looking for something filling with a GREAT flavor and not the same ol' same ol' subway sandwich, this is a good option. It comes in a 8" and a 12".
As far as price goes, it was pretty comparable to alot of the other stuff out there today. For a meal (sandwich, chips, and soda) it was like 6.98. Not too bad. I would say probably pass on the chips and soda (especially if you're just taking it home) and splurge on getting the large sandwich. It's worth it. All in all my Firehouse sub, New York Steamer was a great experience. I'll keep you posted on their other subs and many more sandwiches to come. Until lunch time, good night and good eating....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home